Friday, December 02, 2022

A nostalgic find

 

This past fall, I was sorting through some of the vintage cards I'm listing on Etsy when I came upon this gem.  You can't really tell from the photo, but the edges of the chalk tray area are die-cut to make it look a little bit three-dimensional.  And Santa's red outfit is flocked, making it soft and touchable!  (The answer to the math problem is incorrect, but no matter.  It's right in style.)

 Even more fun was when I saw that the card was one that had been sent to me as a child.

We had a family friend, an older gentleman named Bill.  He often brought us kids unusual, fun gifts.  Sometimes these came from a store, things like special coloring books or paper dolls.  Sometimes they were things he had acquired, like a stack of travel magazines filled with fascinating destinations.

Bill often sent us cards on holidays as well.  Invariably, instead of signing his name, he made a little drawing of a bird's bill.  Just like the one on this card.  Bill was a special man indeed, and I'm happy to have this fun Christmas card to remember him by.

Hope you've enjoyed this fun look back at a vintage midcentury Christmas card!

2 comments:

  1. That is very special! Bill sounds like a thoughtful, kind man. And I do wish that 4+4=9.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice that you still have that memory

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!