Thursday, December 29, 2022

The traditional ice cream sundaes


 Once again this year we took four of our local grands for ice cream sundaes.  This is a tradition of some years' standing.  (Photo at top is an older one.)  For a number of years we did a meal out, Christmas shopping for their parents, and the ice cream smorgasbord at Kellerhaus, with 3 of the kids.  Their little sister joined in for December 2019.  In 2020 we tweaked the tradition, serving both breakfast and ice cream sundaes at home.

In 2021 we changed it up again, skipping the shopping trip and having breakfast, craft and candy making, all at home before heading off for ice cream sundaes.  We followed that same general format this year.  Maybe tomorrow I can post our breakfast recipes.

Josiah with spoon poised for a first taste!
Sam, Josiah, Grampa and I were at this table.

Julia and Ari had their own table.  The tables are fairly small.

I was a little disappointed in Kellerhaus' Christmas decor this year.  It wasn't as festive as of old, and the player piano still isn't working.  But the homemade ice cream is better than ever, and there are many more flavors to choose from.  Most still prefer vanilla, though, as there are so many toppings.

And that was this year's ice cream extravaganza!


6 comments:

  1. Looks like a sweet ending for a wonderful time spent together! What a blessing to be able to enjoy your grandkids, and vice versa! I don't think about ice cream as much in wintertime, but why not? It probably won't melt so quickly! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is *such* a sweet blessing, Pam. We almost never go out for ice cream in winter, as the ice cream places are closed. But this shop is year round and only about a half hour from us. I never thought about going there just for ice cream, just for the smorgasbord, but this year I found myself thinking that if Mr. T and I get an ice cream craving anytime, we could come here. The price per scoop is no higher than any of the other places we frequent in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful tradition! Did you express your disappointment over the decor? Maybe they don't realize that people pay attention. The grands all have sweet expressions on their faces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not mention my disappointment with the decor. Guess I probably should have. Yes, they are sweet kids. Such a blessing!

      Delete
  4. Sweet tradition! I need to find traditions for my little ones also , now that we have 2 wee ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a sweet tradition indeed. I hope you find something similar to do with your little grands! ❤

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!