Thursday, July 11, 2024

Glorious garlands

 


 I recently came upon this little booklet which had originally come bound inside a December 1999 issue of Family Circle magazine.  It's hard to think of something from 1999 being considered "vintage", but it actually is -- that was 25 years ago!  

I am planning to use several of the ideas from this booklet this month, as some of the garlands are not made from fresh greenery.  Others of the garlands are made with fresh greens, so I'll share those for December Daily when the time comes.  I have already written and scheduled a few posts for December!

But for now, let's take a look at an idea or two, shall we?

These could obviously be made using a faux evergreen garland as well as a real one.

 
This cozy cabin garland looks like fun.  To make it, you cut cottages out of cardboard and then paint them as desired.  The ones here are white, gold, and a sort of barn red.  It's suggested that contrasting pieces of string can be glued on to outline windows and doors, but I'm pretty sure I would use paint pens instead.  

It doesn't say to make holes in the houses, but one would have to, it seems to me, to hang them.  It's suggested to secure houses on the garland with a twist of floral wire, rather than ordinary ornament hooks, which could shake loose.

Then there's this golden garland of gilded nuts.

This is something you could do even now.  Drilling the holes in the nuts, assembling and spray-painting the garland could all be done outdoors at the picnic table!

The houses for the cabin garland could be cut out, painted, holes punched in the tops, and stored away safely until December and time to add to your evergreen garland.

So, there are a couple ideas of glorious garlands to make for Christmas!  I will share more next week.

3 comments:

  1. Would love to have a staircase just to decorate---but we don't. Otherwise glad we don't have stairs but always think it would said it would be fun just for decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't use much garland anymore but I do like the small houses... thinking of making some out of wood

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cozy cabin garland is really cute, Mrs. T.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!