Friday, July 19, 2024

A sweet poem -- "Merry Christmas"

 


 It's time for a poem!!  I found this poem in an older Christmas Ideals magazine.  The author is Margaret Ann Rorke.  The fun graphic at the top of this post is a vintage Christmas card that sold in my Etsy shop some time ago.

Here's the poem:

MERRY CHRISTMAS

The sparkle from a pair of eyes
Lit up by Santa's sweet surprise,
A hearty laugh from one himself
Who acts a bit like that old elf,
A healthy home with spicy smells
That blend with pine, a few church bells,
Some cards, a visit from a friend,
A moment that you'll have to spend
Rereading Luke, some carols sung;
All this and more you'll find among
The wishes that I wish your way
To merry-up your Christmas Day.

-- Margaret Rorke

What a fun little poem!  When you think about what you wish for friends and family at the Christmas season, the things the author mentions here are definitely among them.  

Who doesn't love watching the "sparkle from a pair of eyes" as someone opens a gift to find just what they wanted -- or, even better, something they didn't even know they wanted!

Hearty laughter, the scents of pine and gingerbread -- all are aspects of delightful Christmas times at home.  

Church bells pealing, friendly visits, a mailbox full of Christmas cards -- these things make the season just delightful.  

Most importantly, quiet moments to hum a few carols and to reread the Christmas story from the book of Luke.  I wish all of these for my loved ones.  How about you?

3 comments:

  1. That definitely says Christmas. I like writing sayings or poems in cards--will have to remember this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though Ideals Magazine are in my childhood memory, I certainly didn't have any real appreciation for it. I first bought a new issue of Ideals Magazine a few years ago when I was caregiving for an elderly lady with dementia. I was happy to find she enjoyed the shorter readings in them. I was completely charmed by it, and told myself to be on the lookout for more. Unfortunately, I have a short memory, and I only think about Ideals Magazine when I come across what I have, or see something like this.

    Thanks for sharing this, Mrs. T. Just the mention of Ideals Magazine stirs up a sense of nostalgia in me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!