Sunday, July 28, 2024

A sweet bookmark design to make for stocking stuffers!

 

I've mentioned before how much I love The Graphics Fairy for free vintage graphics.  I'm really just beginning to look at the many amazing craft tutorials they offer.  I found this Printable Songbird Bookmark design that I really want to try, and thought that I would share it with you all.

Cardinals are a favorite bird for many people.  At the top of this post is a page I had saved from a small calendar.  I've had it for many years and finally scanned it, along with other bird images from the same calendar.  I thought it was perfect for this particular post.  

The tutorial was written by Diana from Dreams Factory.  She mentions that the cardinal image with green leaves that she used for the free printable bookmarks is from an 1840s natural history book.  How interesting!  She placed the bird image on a piece of handwritten French ephemera as a background.

The printable contains a total of six bookmarks, so you can make a number of these at one time.  You can finish the edges simply with distress ink, or do a fancier edge with gold foil.  Diana tells you exactly what products to use and how to do this.  

I think if I were to make the simpler bookmarks I might punch a hole in the top and add a cord and tassel or a piece of ribbon to it.  If I get brave and try the gold foil technique, I would not bother with any further embellishment, since these are elegant as is.

Image from The Graphics Fairy
 
As I mentioned, these bookmarks would make a lovely stocking stuffer, or a small gift for an acquaintance or coworker.  They would also be the perfect addition to a book you may be gifting someone for Christmas.  Have fun with this wonderful idea!



2 comments:

  1. So lovely. It also gives me a thought about using some old Christmas cards for bookmarks! I'm just not very crafty, but I have ideas! LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!