Wednesday, July 03, 2024

Twelve Treats of Christmas

 


It's so much fun to take a look back at vintage cookbooklets from Christmases past!  This is one I've recently listed in my Etsy shop.  It's by Duncan Hines and is called the 12 Treats of Christmas.  It isn't that old, probably from the 1990s, but it's a vintage one nonetheless.  

Each recipe has a red icon or emblem which relates to one of the 12 days of Christmas.  On the front, that's simply a pair of festive bells with some holly.  The little blurb on the front reads: "To help you bake your moist delicious best,  Duncan Hines is proud to offer you some of our favorite recipes for your family to enjoy.  From all of us at Duncan Hines, we wish you a very happy holiday season!"

 

Peanut Butter Sparkle Cookies are first.  Aren't they festive?

And next there is Rich Double Chocolate Cream Torte.  This is one I've made a number of times, though I didn't know it was a Duncan Hines recipe.  I found it in Taste of Home.  Absolutely delicious.

Brownie Hot Fudge Sundaes offer another festive hit of chocolate.  That's a scrumptious-sounding Fudge Sauce, made with chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk.

Lemon Blueberry Poppy Seed Bread could be made in several smaller loaf pans to make some impressive additions to a gift basket.

How pretty is this Candy Cane Cake?  The recipe shows you just how to cut a 13x9 cake to make this candy cane shape.  I think it might also be pretty using red (and/or green) M&Ms to decorate rather than the maraschino cherries.

The Gingerbread Men recipe sounds like a good one, starting with a spice cake mix.  But this is the ugliest gingerbread man I've ever seen!  I think they could have come up with a nicer looking one to make this recipe much more appealing.
 


  Above, the Cherry Christmas Wreaths are  beautiful cakes -- chocolate with cream cheese frosting and a topping of cherry pie filling.  Yum!  I don't use mixes much anymore, but I'd love to try duplicating this recipe with a scratch cake and frosting.

The Individual Cheesecake Cups are fun little cheesecakes made in regular muffin pans.  It makes 24.  One uses either a chocolate or yellow cake in making the crust.  Notice the milkmaid illustration here!

The Peppermint Marble Angel Cake is so pretty!  Wouldn't this be fun to serve with peppermint stick ice cream?
I think this Blueberry Sour Cream Coffeecake would be wonderful for Christmas breakfast, or for giving as a kitchen gift. 

 The above photo (which is the back cover of the booklet) shows two recipes: Chocolate Cherry Cordial Drops -- essentially chocolate chip cookies with chopped maraschino cherries, coconut, and pecans -- and the Festive Coconut Macaroon Cookies, which start with a sugar cookie mix so are not quite like a traditional macaroon.  They do look good though and I think might be nice with a dab of jam in the center in place of the candied cherry half.

And there you have the 12 treats of Christmas!  They've given me some good ideas for December.

2 comments:

  1. Some really good recipes to try. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:13 PM

    Love all the recipes …so enjoying Christmas in July!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!