Thursday, December 19, 2019

Home-keeping hearts are happiest


Today I'm sharing this recently discovered vintage Christmas card.  I'm thinking it's probably from the late 1950s or possibly the very early 1960s.  My mother was greatly enamored of the Brownie line of cards from Rust Craft, which often featured little angels like these.  (Not necessarily biblical as to what the Bible tells us of angels, but then we do not know it all by any means.)  I have found more Brownie cards in my mother's stash than maybe even the Rust Craft archives would have.  Likely a bit of an exaggeration, but there are many.  This one is particularly adorable, and I like the saying.

I was curious about the quote from Longfellow, so looked it up.  It's from a poem of his titled Song.  The entire line actually says,

“Stay, stay at home, my heart and rest;
Home-keeping hearts are happiest.” 

If you would like to read this poem in its entirety, you can find it here: Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, which is a website of the Maine Historical Society.  

 The message inside the card is lovely:

  Don't you think so?  Oh, that is so much my desire for every Christmas season, and even for this blog.  If you agree, please do share your thoughts about the quote or the card's message in a comment.  I would love to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!