Monday, December 23, 2019

Dessert ideas for Christmas dinner?



It's a little late for this now, but I did promise to share some dessert ideas for Christmas dinner.  And you know what?  I am coming up completely blank.

That's because (as I realize now) I very rarely make a specific dessert for Christmas dinner.  I haven't done so for many years.

I tried to think of good desserts I had made in the past.  There was a gingerbread trifle, I remember, but when I looked it up it just seemed too heavy somehow for a Christmas dinner dessert.  Sometimes I've made a cheesecake (again, sort of heavy and rich to follow a Christmas dinner), or some sort of pie -- caramel pecan, or chocolate cream.

I do remember a yule log that my daughter Joanna made at Christmas.   I think she made it a couple of times, and may have been in 8th grade the first time she prepared it.  Hers, however, was filled with whipped cream, while the one pictured at top of post has a coconut-pecan filling.  You can check it out here: yule log if  you are interested.

But none of those seem quite right.  My default dessert on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, and any event we bring something to throughout the Christmas season is ... a cookie and fudge tray. 

I often start with a large round plate, around the size of a pizza pan, and arrange four or five cookies of each variety around the edges of the plate.  I usually put fudge in the center.   Sometimes I use a rectangular tray and arrange the treats in rows.

Sometimes I will serve this with ice cream alongside, but often it is just the cookie and fudge tray along with some tea or coffee.

So there you have my best thoughts on Christmas Day dessert.  What will you be serving?

2 comments:

  1. Would you believe that I don’t know? I do have cookies and Peppermint Stick Ice Cream, which is well loved by at least two family members. I may attempt a trifle.

    Merry on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cookies and peppermint stick ice cream sounds perfect to me. Maybe with just a dribble of hot fudge on the ice cream.

      Trifles are always good and can be somewhat light depending upon the components. That gingerbread one I made had both gingerbread and pumpkin. It was scrumptious but very filling.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!