Sunday, July 24, 2022

A Christmas poem: Sleigh Ride

 


Here's another Christmas poem for you all this Christmas in July.  It's another from a vintage Christmas Ideals magazine.

SLEIGH RIDE

Beside the hearth the sleigh bells hang
And wait my touch to sound again
That joyous ring that once we heard
As prancing steed tossed high his mane.

Our songs were gay, our laughter rang
Across the fields of glist'ning snow,
For we were young with carefree hearts
Those Christmas Eves of long ago.

"We're going home.  We're going home."
Those singing bells would seem to say
As round the bend to lanterned door
Our cutter sparked its icy way.

And now the holly spray I twine
Between each shining silver bell.
I'm glad I lived in sleighing years
That only in my memory dwell.

-- Martha D. Tourison

I am just a little bit too young to have lived "in sleighing years", but I loved this poem!

3 comments:

  1. Sweet poem. Only one week of CIJ left, can you believe it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always had a sleighride wish so sent my grands and their parents on one. Maybe someday I'll give it a whirl for myself.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!