Monday, July 25, 2022

Christmas in the city

 


 I found this vintage Christmas card among paper treasures from my parents' home.  I'm thinking it's from the late 1950s or very early 1960s.  This was a card sent to my grandmother by her sister-in-law who lived in New York City.  I found it very interesting that Nellie would choose a card depicting the city rather than the typical countryside or forest Christmas images.  I think she had always lived in the city and considered it home, and so this scene would epitomize the Christmases she had known.  

Skaters are milling about on a frozen pond while skyscrapers loom in the background.  The scene is captured within a pretty evergreen wreath trimmed with pine cones and a bow made from real red satin ribbon.

I have a couple of other cards with city scenes, but none as nice as this one, which will eventually be listed for sale in my Etsy shop.



Hope you've enjoyed this vintage look at Christmas in the city!


5 comments:

  1. The first card is my favorite. They're all beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do have a certain charm and remind me of how I had always wanted to visit NYC at Christmastime. Not any more! It holds no allure for me now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Skaters are my favorite too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the idea of ice skating in the middle of a city.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!