Wednesday, July 06, 2022

Strawberry muffin update

  For those readers coming in late, each month in 2022 I've been trying a new muffin recipe, with an eye to Christmas kitchen gifts.  For May, I decided that I would try some yummy-looking Bakery Style Strawberry Muffins from Like Mother Like Daughter.   That didn't happen in May due to extreme busyness and many days away from home, but I promised to make them as soon as I could and report back.

I had thought I'd be using store-bought strawberries, but on Thursday I had a chance to go strawberry picking with our daughter and several of the grandkids at 4 Corners Farm in Newbury, Vermont.  Below is a view at the field we were in, after most of the pickers had left (they close the field at noon).  The distant mountains are in New Hampshire.

 So I baked the muffin recipe today, but I must confess I took the easier way out and baked it in coffeecake form rather than muffins.  I used the same exact recipe, but spread the batter in a greased 13x9 pan and sprinkled the streusel on top.  I baked it for about 30 minutes.  

The verdict: very good!  Nice fluffy cake with bits of fresh strawberries and then a cinnamony streusel on top.  The recipe uses the method of alternating dry ingredients with liquid (milk, in this case) when adding them to a batter.  To my mind, this method nearly always produces a more tender cake.  The streusel topping stayed in place well, always an important factor for a kitchen gift.  I'm sure the muffins would be just as scrumptious, maybe more so.  I could use frozen strawberries and chop them up to add to the batter if making this at Christmas time.  And I just might do that.

2 comments:

  1. Now I'm hungry! Strawberry muffins with streusel on top - a winner for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any baking that is less fussy is a hit with me. I wanted to go strawberry picking, but it has already ended here. Blueberry picking next.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!