Sunday, December 07, 2014

A lovely, lovely poem: Let Us Keep Christmas


Someone gave me a stack of used books they thought might interest me.  One of them is filled with lovely poems and readings concerning Christmas.  This poem is one of the first pages I looked at and, oh, it is so meaningful, especially in the times we're living in right now.  I just had to share it.

LET US KEEP CHRISTMAS
Grace Noll Crowell

Whatever else be lost among the years,
Let us keep Christmas still a shining thing.
Whatever doubts assail us, or what fears,
Let us hold close one day, remembering
Its poignant meaning for the hearts of men.
Let us get back our childlike faith again.

Wealth may have taken wings,
Yet still there are clear windowpanes
To glow with candlelight;
There are boughs for garlands and a tinsel star
To tip some little fir tree's lifted height.
There is no heart too heavy or too sad,
But some small gift of love can make it glad.

And there are home-sweet rooms
Where laughter rings,
And we can sing the carols as of old.
Above the eastern hills a white star swings;
There is an ancient story to be told;
There are kind words and cheering words to say:
Let us be happy on the Christ Child's day.

Isn't that absolutely beautiful?  Whatever else has been lost, however difficult life has become, we can still celebrate our Savior!  Life would be meaningless without Him.

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous and so beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it? Oh, so meaningful. I'm glad I happened to find this poem.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!