Friday, December 29, 2023

Christmas Granola -- a favorite kitchen gift

  

Above, you see a pretty wooden tray I received in a gift swap earlier this month.  It made a perfect repository for some completed kitchen gifts -- in this case a canister and two jars of Christmas granola.  This is basically just my regular granola recipe with pistachio kernels and dried cranberries added in.  I have tweaked this recipe in a major way over the years.

CHRISTMAS  GRANOLA

4 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 cup flaked coconut
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup sliced almonds
Cinnamon to taste
Nutmeg to taste
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup maple syrup or honey
2 tsp. vanilla
 

Pistachio kernels to taste
Dried cranberries to taste

Preheat oven to 300º. In a large bowl, combine the oats, coconut, seeds, nuts, and spices.

In another bowl or a large measuring cup, combine the melted butter, maple syrup or honey, and vanilla and mix well. Pour over the dry mixture and stir to combine thoroughly.

Transfer the mixture to a greased 13x9-inch pan and bake at 300º for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.

Remove from oven; stir in pistachio kernels and dried cranberries, and let cool before storing. 

For everyday use, I would store granola either in a plastic bag inside a recycled oatmeal canister, or in a large plastic container intended for cereal storage.

However for gifting at Christmas time, I would use either quart mason jars or a Christmasy canister or tin.  The adorable canister at top was a deal at Ocean State Job Lot for $2.50.  The quart jars were actually being returned to the recipient, who had given us maple syrup in them.

2 comments:

  1. That sure sounds good! I may have to try that recipe. I love granola on my yogurt. That would be a nice way to make it and enjoy it! Thank you for sharing this with us. Great idea for gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoy this if you try it, Pam! It's a favorite in our family.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!