Saturday, December 09, 2023

Put your slow cooker to work for you in this busy season

 


 I don't ordinarily do the same post on each blog during December -- and this one isn't the same as the one on my Kitchen Table blog; you will find different recipes on each of them.  Seems I just have to write a post about this every few years!   I apologize if it sounds familiar, but I think you will thank me for the reminder.   I rely on my slow cooker during any busy season, but I find it invaluable in the weeks leading up to Christmas.  I can put supper in the cooker on any busy day, even if I plan to be home all day.  I can then spend my day crafting, cleaning, decorating, or whatever happens to be on my agenda, while supper cooks all by itself.

I tend to use recipes that are one-dish meals, to keep things as simple as possible.  But if sides are needed, I might -- depending upon what the main course is --  use a bagged salad mix, scrub and pierce a few potatoes or sweet potatoes and bake them,  or quickly cook a bag of frozen vegetables in the microwave.  If you have a bread machine, which I no longer do, it's a simple matter to have bread baking at the same time soup is simmering in the crock.

Here are a few recipe links you might find helpful.  

Forgotten Jambalaya. So good if you enjoy Cajun flavors and pretty much a meal in a bowl.

Fiesta Sweet Potato Soup.   This is unusual but scrumptious.  Most people I have served it to have really enjoyed it.  You could serve it very simply with tortilla chips, or bake a quick pan of cornbread.

Burgundy Beef.  As I looked over this recipe, I found it called for very little burgundy (a quarter cup) and also noted that beef broth could be substituted.  Usually when a recipe calls for red wine, I use cranberry juice instead, so that's what I decided to do.  I didn't have any mushrooms on hand, but decided to substitute sliced onions.  I also didn't want to serve the dish over noodles, so I peeled and quartered 5 or 6 small potatoes and added them to the cooker with everything else.  This turned out really well and the gravy had fantastic flavor. 

Sunday Chicken Supper.    This is a true meal in one.

If you need further inspiration for slow cooker recipes, please do click the "slow cookers" link in the label cloud at right for a few more.  Over on my Kitchen Table blog, click the "slow cooker recipes" label, where you will find pages of good ideas.  You could also visit my Slow Cooker Inspiration Pinterest board for more good ideas!  There are loads of yummy-looking recipes there, and elsewhere on Pinterest. 

And I truly do hope that you will get out your slow cooker and put it to work for you in this busy, festive season.  It really will make life easier in this busy month of December! 

1 comment:

  1. Yes! the perfect time to use the crockpot. I agree gives us time to work on something else and the house smells so good

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!