Friday, December 08, 2023

Homemade cranberry sauce with cherries, ginger and lime

 


I recently came upon this recipe in the November 2008 issue of Cook & Tell, a delightful recipe newsletter I subscribed to for years.  It's no longer being published, alas.  But I have all of my old issues and peruse them when I can.  I especially love the December issues, but a few days before Thanksgiving I browsed through a couple of November ones -- and spotted this recipe.  There was no need to make cranberry sauce for the Thanksgiving feast, as my daughter was making the whole berry kind, and the kids prefer jellied.  So I filed this away in my memory bank in case turkey or chicken make it onto the Christmas menu with our crowd.  Now I'm sharing it here so I can't forget where I put it!

CRANBERRY-CHERRY SAUCE WITH LIME AND GINGER

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup dried tart cherries
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 Tblsp. crystallized ginger, chopped
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup water
1 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries

Place the sugar, cherries, lime juice, ginger, salt, and water in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring till the sugar dissolves.  Add the cranberries and simmer till the berries burst and the sauce thickens, about 8 minutes.  Chill at least 2 hours before serving.  Makes about 2 1/2 cups.  

Doesn't that sound delectable?  And easy?

3 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting. Do you serve it cold like a cranberry sauce? I may have to taste test it. Sounds good and different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!