Sunday, December 10, 2023

Sunday Scripture

 

As mentioned last Sunday, I'm doing special Christmas related Sunday Scripture posts throughout December again this year.  Back in 2020 I had worked through Peace, Be Still: A 31-Day Christmas prayer journal, from Women Living Well.  Last year, I used some of my simple study from this book as Scripture posts for December.  I have decided to do so again this year, using different posts on each of my blogs to keep it interesting for all of my readers.  I will take two from each week's study to use one each on my blogs, and maybe next December use more of them.

Also -- note that this simple study does not use the SOAP method as my studies usually do.  This one includes a verse for the day, a thought for the day,  a reflection question for the day and space to write a prayer for each day.  I tended to look at the verse a little bit in depth, and I tended to answer the reflection question in the prayer, but of course you can use these any way you want to. I hope perhaps some of you will want to study out these verses in more depth for yourselves.

Here goes with the study for Week 1, Day 6!  I chose to look at two verses from Isaiah 30 rather than just the one.

Verses for the day:

"And therefore will the LORD wait, that He may be gracious unto thee, and therefore will He be exalted, that He may have mercy upon you; for the LORD is a God of justice; blessed are all they that wait for Him!
"... And thine ears shall hear a word behind thee, saying, This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand, and when ye turn to the left."  (Isaiah 30:18, 21)

My study: 

It's so encouraging to know that God will give us specific guidance as we yield to His leading in our lives.  He is gracious and merciful; He desires for us to exalt Him with our lives.  To do that, we must be yielding to Him and following His lead.

At this point in history, Judah and Jerusalem were described by God as "a rebellious people, lying children ... who will not hear the law of the LORD (verse 9)."

Warren Wiersbe explains:

"Their only hope was to repent, return to the Lord, and by faith rest only in Him, but they would not listen and obey."

Isaiah told the people, "Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you ... He rises to show you compassion" (v. 19, quoted by Wiersbe from the NIV).  Isaiah described then a future day when Israel would be restored to her land to enjoy the blessings of the kingdom.  They would listen to God's Word then and be guided by it.

Reflection question:

In what ways are you yielding to God's hand on your life today?

My prayer:

"Dear God, I thank and praise You so much for the truths of Your Word.  I'm thankful this morning for the writings of Isaiah, who himself yielded to Your lead as he prophesied to Judah and Jerusalem.   I thank You for these meaningful accounts from Your Word that have such profound application in our own time.  I pray that You will help me be sensitive to Your leading in my life every day, and that I will yield to that leading.   I thank You for all You'll do, in Jesus' name, Amen."

That's the Sunday Scripture for the day.  Hope it was a blessing to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!