Thursday, December 14, 2023

Book review: A Very Merry Christmas

 


 This is a newer book from Gooseberry Patch.  It's one of those books that I "earned" after having a recipe, craft, or memory published.  It was a fun surprise when my Festive Cheese Log recipe was chosen for publication this past year.  The subtitle is "Tried and true recipes to make your holiday special!" and this cheese log has been making our family's holidays special for decades now.  Friends at church always look forward to it, too.

The first chapter in A Very Merry Christmas cookbook is Making Memories Together.  There are some fun and heartwarming memories shared by readers from all over.  Some are reminiscent of my own memories, while others would be fun traditions to begin with a family.

Fun and Festive Breakfasts is the next chapter, filled with great ideas for quiche and egg bakes, breakfast sides, pancakes and waffles, cinnamon rolls, coffee cakes,  scones, muffins, and other wonderful-sounding breakfast dishes.  Nearly every recipe sounds like one that I would love to try -- especially the Gingerbread Muffins and Grandpa Frank's Breakfast Pizza.  There are also quotes, recipes, and other fun ideas sprinkled on the pages of this section.

The third chapter is Cozy Soups & More.  We just love soup in winter, fall and spring, which are all cool seasons here in NewHampshire.    This chapter features homemade breads and crackers too.  The Cheesy Ham & Potato Corn Chowder, Cauliflower & Cheese Soup, and Anita's Italian Zuppa are among the many soups I'd enjoy trying.

The fourth chapter is Scrumptious Sides & Salads. Sweet Baked Squash & Apples is one I've made many times (under a different name and using a different squash) and it's always a hit.   Tricolor Rotini Pasta Salad is different from my usual in that it includes salami and asparagus.  I might try this, but not for my grandkids, who have their own favorite pasta salad they always want me to make.  Joyce's Stuffing Cakes sound different and very good.  I think the Best Baked Beans would be a hit with my family.

Home for the Holidays is the next chapter, filled with main courses that would help me achieve my aim in December -- having cozy meals for those super busy days and evenings.  There are several more elegant recipes, suitable for Christmas dinner, but those don't take my eye like the cozy everyday ones.  I'd love to try Cheesy Tortilla Bake, Chicken Divan (very different from my usual recipe -- it includes stuffing!), Cowboy Chow, and Cheesy Pierogie Bake.  

Next is Party-Perfect Appetizers.  This one has loads of great appetizer and beverage recipes.  I'd love to try the French Quarter Cheese Spread, the Wonton Appetizer Cups and The Christmas Pineapple.  That last one is a whole pineapple trimmed with pickles, mini sausages, cubes of cheese, olives etc.  attached to it with toothpicks. 

     
And lastly, Ho-Ho Holiday Treats contains all sorts of sweet treats from cookies to pies to candies to snacks, especially for the sweet tooth members of the family.  (I have such great memories of my dad, asking after supper if there might be "a little something for the sweet tooth".)   
  I've made the Peppermint Bark -- makes such a good and easy kitchen gift!  I'd love to try the Salted Caramel Toffee Cookies, Cherry Almond Bundt Cake, and Toffee Coffee Crunch, with a layer of crushed roasted coffee beans underneath the toffee. 

This Christmas cookbook will be fun to use this season.  It's always a neat experience when Gooseberry Patch chooses one of my recipes, memories, or craft ideas for publication!                                                                                                                                         

2 comments:

  1. I need to pull out my Gooseberry cookbooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty much always reading through one of mine. So much great recipe inspiration in them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!