Thursday, December 07, 2023

Book review -- I'll Be Home for Christmas Cookbook

 

I can't even tell you have many Christmas cookbooks from Gooseberry Patch I own.  I've acquired them in various ways, probably most of them by way of having a recipe, craft idea or memory published. But one of my newer favorites is this I'll Be Home for Christmas cookbook, published in 2020.  You might also be able to find it on Thriftbooks here.  And likely on Amazon as well.

Here's a rundown of the chapters: Coming Home for Christmas is first and it includes many wonderful  heartwarming memories shared by various folks from around the country.  

Festive Holiday Brunch is a chapter filled with breakfast and brunch recipes -- everything from egg bakes to muffins to fruit salad, hot cocoa and much more. I think the only recipe I've tried here is the Christmas Jam, but there are many I want to try.   The Honey-Glazed Ham Biscuit Sliders sound fantastic.  They are like the sliders one often sees made with Hawaiian rolls, but these are made with buttermilk biscuits, which would make them a little healthier and also less expensive.  Carolyn's Candied Bacon sounds amazing.  Many more yummy breakfast recipes may be found in this chapter.

Christmas Open House is all about appetizers, snacks and festive beverages.  I'd love to try the Nutty Cheddar Cheese Log, but I'm not sure my family and friends would want me to try any other cheese log recipe than our traditional Festive Cheese Log.   I've also tried, and liked, the Christmas Tortilla Roll-ups and the Spicy Mini Sausage Sandwiches.  I made these little open face sandwiches for many years after finding the recipe in one of my first Gooseberry cookbooks.  Recently I have not been able to find the cocktail rye bread.  But thankfully I saw some this week in a local supermarket, and scooped up two loaves.  They were not inexpensive, but I stashed them in the freezer for later use.  This chapter is packed with recipes.  You're sure to find a new and different appetizer to welcome friends and family to your home!

Come In & Warm Up  features soup, chowder and chili recipes to warm up your family and guests.  Pepper Jack Potato Soup sounds wonderful, as does the Hearty Lasagna Soup.  There are a half dozen or so recipes for breads to accompany the soups -- Easy Garlic Knots sounds particularly yummy -- and a couple of cracker recipes as well.

As you might guess, Seasonal Salads & Sides is loaded with all manner of side dishes and salads.  I've yet to try any of these recipes but there are so many that sound good -- Roasted Brussels Sprouts & Hazelnuts, Ridiculously Good Scalloped Potatoes, and more.  Granny Smith Apple Salad and the Artichoke Rice Salad are both want-to-trys for me. 

Gathering with Family & Friends is filled with main dishes of all types for the holiday meals.   Several that I really want to try are the Christmas Shepherd's Pie, the Easy-Peasy Fancy Ziti, and the Kielbasa & Potato Bake.  Lots of main-dish inspiration here for easy everyday December meals as well as fancier ones for Christmas dinner. 

Holiday Desserts for Sharing
is just that; a sampling of festive desserts from cakes to cookies to pies to fudge.  I've made similar cookie recipes to the Chocolate Chip Snowballs and the Russian Teacakes.  I have not tried any of the dessert recipes, but the Apple Pie in a Goblet sounds like a good one to begin with.  You simmer a chunky sauce with real apples, sugar and spices, then layer it with vanilla ice cream and crushed shortbread cookies and top with whipped cream.  The Vermont Maple Pumpkin Pie sounds scrumptious, but I have my own never-fail Pumpkin Pie recipe that I just love, so probably I won't try this one.

Of course, with any Gooseberry Patch book, there are delightful extras.  In addition to the gorgeous illustrations, you will find sprinkled throughout the chapters quotes, craft and decorating ideas, and so on.  Every page has a little added treat of some sort.  Here's a fun idea:  "Use favorite cookie cutters for all kinds of holiday fun.  Trace around them onto colorful paper for placecards and package tags ... add glitter for sparkle.  Cookie cutters can even trim a wreath or serve as napkin rings ... clever!"

I also liked this idea:  "If your extended family finds it a challenge to get together on Christmas Day, why not enjoy a brunch together one weekend?  Relax with each other over coffee and fruit juice, baskets of warm muffins and a yummy breakfast casserole.  You'll be glad you did!"

Hmmm, wonder if I could talk my hubby's siblings into this.  Sounds like a great idea.

I highly recommend this book!  If it sounds good to you, why not head on over to  Gooseberry Patch, Amazon or Thriftbooks and find your own copy?

2 comments:

  1. Love those books! need to look at the ones I have now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know! I still have many of them that I have not reviewed yet. I probably will have to winnow down my collection at some point, but I hope not.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!