Monday, December 11, 2023

Another lovely Christmas poem: A Winter Day

 


 Regular readers know that I often feature Christmas poems from vintage magazines.  Here's one from a 1980 Christmas Ideals issue.

A WINTER DAY

'Tis Christmas again and once more as before
We  hang up the holly outside the front door.
The hills and valleys are covered with snow,
Brushed with crystals of ice that glow.
From towering trees, from shrubs, each tiny strand
Glistens in winter's fairyland.
The snow, like a veil, drawn across earth's face,
Falls from each branch like frothy lace
And the wind fingers lightly hill and plain,
Chanting a soft cathedral strain;
Through the windowed trees, the sun's clear, bright gaze
Cloaks the world in a golden haze;
Transforming this earthly vision of ice
To reflection of Paradise.
'Tis Christmas again and once more as before
We  hang up the holly outside the front door.

-- Margaret Phillips Succop

I've always enjoyed Christmas cards that feature front doors, often open, with seasonal greens adorning them.  That's what I thought of when I read this poem.  Hope you enjoyed it too.


1 comment:

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!