Wednesday, December 06, 2023

Just a nifty vintage Christmas card!

 
Here's a very nifty Christmas card which I just found in my vintage stash of cards to sell.   I decided I needed to list it right away.   This gorgeous pre-owned Christmas card by Hawthorne Sommerfield was likely sent in the 1970s but may possibly be from the 1960s. The card front features a wintry alpine scene with a couple of scrubby bushes (one with pine cones) in the foreground. Five skiers are speeding down a snow-covered slope, while snowy alps loom in the background. An alpine village -- several houses and a church -- is tucked into the base of the mountain. Smoke streams from the chimneys of the houses.

 The beautiful painting used on this card is signed by artist John E. Bradley.   I searched but was unable to learn much about him, although I did find a few more of his paintings.  He seemed to specialize in outdoor scenes and paintings of wildlife.

One of the most rewarding things about having an Etsy shop is seeing how treasures like these find new homes with folks who truly love and appreciate them! 

1 comment:

  1. Love the way people used to dress for skiing. beautiful card

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my Christmas kitchen! I love company here in my kitchen all year round, so please leave a comment so I'll know you visited. I will answer any questions and comments here on the blog, so be sure and check "notify me" to see replies. God bless your day!